Bernadette A. Parduski, City Clerk
City Hall - Administration
Mailing address: City of Shelby, P O Box 207, Shelby, NC 28151-0207
Office address: City of Shelby, 300 South Washington Street, Shelby, NC 28150
Phone: 704 669-6588
The City Clerk is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of City Council. The City Clerk serves as a liaison between the citizens and elected officials and provides administrative support and information services to the Mayor, City Council, and City staff. The City Clerk is the official custodian of public records, maintaining complete and accurate records of all City Council proceedings and meetings as well as all official City files.
The City Clerk position involves a wide variety of duties to facilitate good rule and efficient government of the City. Responsibilities include being:
- An archivist – recording today’s events for tomorrow’s history
- A historian – preserving the legal and historical integrity of City government through the maintenance of official records
- A drafter – preparing or assisting in the preparation of various documents including minutes, agendas, resolutions, ordinances, proclamations, reports, notices, etc.
- A codifier – ensuring the City’s Code of Ordinances is accurate and updated
- A researcher – responding to various requests for information from elected officials, citizens, staff, governmental agencies, businesses, media, and others
- A student – continuing education so that all receive the most knowledgeable service possible
The office can be considered the "information source" for City government and history. The City Clerk also serves as a link between the citizens and government as the primary source for providing information. The City Clerk strives to be the connection for the citizens to their government, providing a valuable resource to both.