Crime Victims Resources

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

As a victim of crime, there are many resources in our community available to you.  There are also specific rights afforded to you by North Carolina state statute.  This website is designed to provide you information on these rights and how to locate resources in our community that can help you return to normal life after being a victim of crime.

The Shelby Police Department is built around one basic principal that we believe is the cornerstone of our mission; service.  The men and women that make up the Shelby Police Department work diligently to provide both residents and visitors with the highest level of customer service possible.  If at any time you have a question or concern about an incident you have been a victim of, please let us know.  You can reach the Shelby Police Department 24/7 by calling (704) 484-6845.  You can also reach my office directly by calling (704) 484-6855.

Jeff Ledford, Chief of Police


Resources for Victims of Crime

Status of Your Case

During the course of the investigation you will be contacted by the investigating officer or detective concerning the status of the case. You can always check the status of an investigation by calling the police department at (704) 484-6845, and asking to speak with the Criminal Investigations Lieutenant. Please refer to the case number assigned to your case. Please notify us of any address or phone number changes.

Important Phone Numbers for Resources Available in our Community

Emergency 9-1-1
Shelby Police Department (704) 484-6845
Cleveland County District Attorney’s Office (704) 476-7810
District Attorney’s Office Victim/Witness Assistance (704) 476-7810
Cleveland County Magistrate (704) 476-7819
Cleveland County Clerk of Court (704) 476-7800
Cleveland County Detention Center (704) 484-4889
Cleveland County Sheriff (704) 484-900
Cleveland County Crimestoppers (704) 481-TIPS
CC Abuse Prevention Council (704) 481-0043
Pathways Mental Health (704) 476-4004
Department of Social Services (704) 487-0661
Guardian ad Litem (704) 484-4771
Greater CC Baptist Association (704) 481-9119
Salvation Army (704) 482-0375
Cleveland Regional Medical Center (980) 487-3000
Cleveland County Health Dept (704) 484-5100
NC Victims Services (800) 348-5068
Catawba Valley Legal Services (828) 437-8280
FTC Identity Theft Hotline (877) ID-THEFT

If at any time you have a question and you are not sure who to call, please call the Shelby Police Department and ask to speak to an on-duty officer or supervisor.


Your Rights as a Victim of Crime in North Carolina

• You have the right to be given information about the crime, how the criminal justice system works, the rights of victims, and the availability of services to victims.
• You have the right to be informed of and be present at court proceedings of the accused.
• You have the right to talk with the prosecutor and provide a Victim Impact Statement.
• You have the right to be heard at the sentencing of the accused and at other times as allowed by law.
• You have the right to receive restitution.
• You have the right to receive information about the conviction or final disposition and sentence of the accused.
• You have the right to present your views and concerns to the Governor or agency considering the release of the accused.


Medical Services

If at any time you need emergency medical attention, call 9-1-1. Emergency medical services are available 24/7. If you need non-emergency medical assistance, please contact your personal physician or ask the investigating officer to help you locate a local medical facility that can provide the appropriate services.


What to do if Threatened or Intimidated

Threatening a witness is a crime in North Carolina. If you receive a threat from the defendant or anyone else, call the police department or the Victim Witness Assistant in the District Attorney's office.


Pre-Trial Release of Accused

When an accused is arrested in connection with your case, he/she will be taken before a Magistrate for determining the conditions of pre-trial release. A magistrate will determine the pre-trial release conditions based on the type of crime charged, the defendant’s prior history, and the risk of flight posed by the defendant. The defendant may be released on their own recognizance (a promise to return for court), into the custody of a responsible adult, or by posting a bail bond that is set by the magistrates. With regard to individuals charged with domestic violence offenses, a Judge will determine the conditions of pre-trial release for these defendants. A defendant in domestic violence cases may be held for up to 48 hours from the time of arrest in order to allow a Judge to determine conditions for release. If a Judge is unable to set the conditions of release within 48 hours of the arrest, a magistrate will determine the conditions of release.

Once you are notified of an arrest in connection with your case, you may contact the Cleveland County Detention Center at (704) 484-4889 to determine whether or not a defendant has been released from custody.


The Court Proceeding

North Carolina has more than 400 criminal laws. Cases are heard in both District and Superior Courts. The most serious cases, the ones that often result in a prison sentence of at least one year or more, are felonies and they are usually heard in Superior Court. Felonies include such things as breaking and entering, assault, sale or delivery of controlled substance, forgery, rape, incest, murder or embezzlement.

Misdemeanor offenses are heard in District Court. A person convicted of a misdemeanor offense may receive a small amount of active jail time depending on the person's prior criminal record.


What does it mean if I get a subpoena?

A subpoena is a writ issued by the court that commands the presence of a witness to testify and/or produce certain documents under penalty for failure. If you receive a subpoena, you are required to abide by the conditions detailed within the subpoena.


NC Crime Victims Compensation Services

Victims Compensation Services reimburses citizens who suffer medical expenses and lost wages as a result of being an innocent victim of a crime committed in North Carolina. Victims of rape, assault, child sexual abuse, domestic violence, and drunk driving, as well as the families of homicide victims are eligible to apply for financial help.

Contact the Department of Public Safety Office of Victims Services at (919) 733-7974 for information on applying for compensation.


NC SAVAN (North Carolina Statewide Automated Victim Assistance and Notification) provides free, confidential notifications about an offender's custody status to victims, their families, and their circles of support. County jail inmates, state prisoners, probationers, parolees, and registered sex offenders are all included in this service.

If your offender is incarcerated in a county jail, state prison, or is on parole or probation, register by calling (877) NC-SAVAN. The process is confidential.


How did we do investigating your incident?

Let us know how we did. Go to and click on the police tab under departments. On our homepage there is a short confidential survey for victims of crime. You can also call and speak to our Operations Division Captain by calling (704) 484-7167.


Additional Resources 

Department Pamphlet, A Guide for Victims of Crime