The Fire & Rescue Department is a multi-discipline provider of public safety services. The department's emergency services include:
- Structural fire suppression; the department provides fire suppression services for residential, multi-family, commercial, and industrial occupancies in the city.
- Pre-hospital emergency medical care; the department provides non-transport basic life support emergency medical services in the city in support of the county operated advanced life support transport medical service.
- Technical rescue response; the department provides a variety of specialty rescue services including; swift water, high and low angle rope, land search, collapse & confined space, and vehicle & machinery.
- Hazardous materials mitigation; the department is the operations first responder to chemical releases and hazardous product spills in the city.
- Aircraft, crash, fire & rescue (ARFF); the department provides specialized fire & rescue services at the Shelby-Cleveland County Regional Airport.
- Vehicle, infrastructure and outdoor firefighting; the department provides other firefighting services including; trash and rubbish, woods and grasslands, motor vehicles, and fires involving utility infrastructure.