planning services : Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) : Purpose and Powers
ZONING BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT is a quasi-judicial board with meetings open to the public. This board meets the first Thursday of each month with the business meeting beginning at 12:15 PM at the UOC Assembly Room, Utilities Operations Center, 824 West Grover Street, Shelby.
The board is composed of eight inside city limits members and three ETJ members. They are appointed for three year staggered terms by City Council. The outside members have jurisdiction over matters within the ETJ, only. The inside members have jurisdiction over matters within the city limits and the ETJ.
The powers and duties of the Zoning Board of Adjustment are:
The Board of Adjustment shall hear and decide:
- Appeals from any order, decision, requirement, or interpretation made by the Zoning Administrator, as provided in Section 7-1 of the UDO.
- Applications for conditional use permits, as provided in Section 4-7 of the UDO.
- Applications for general variances, as provided in Section 7-2 and applications for variances from watershed district overlay requirements as provided Section 7-2.3 of the UDO.
- Questions involving interpretations of the zoning map, including disputed district boundary lines and lot lines, as provided in Section 2-3.2 of the UDO.
- Applications for a special exception, as provided in Section 6-3.3 of the UDO.
- Any other matter of the Board is required to act upon by any other City ordinance.