PLANNING AND ZONING BOARD is an advisory board to City Council and their meetings are open to the public. The board is comprised of eleven (11) members appointed by City Council for terms of three years. Eight (8) board members are residents within the city limits of Shelby and three (3) members are residents within the ETJ (extraterritorial jurisdiction) area.
The powers and duties of the Planning and Zoning Board are:
- Make studies and recommend to the City Council plans, goals and objectives relating to the growth, development and redevelopment of the City’s planning jurisdiction.
- Develop and recommend to the City Council policies, ordinances, administrative procedures and other means for carrying out plans in a coordinated and efficient manner.
- Make recommendations to the City Council concerning proposed zoning text and map changes. The board has 45 days to submit its recommendation, failing to do so constitutes a favorable recommendation.
- Approve preliminary plats of major subdivision plats in accordance with the provisions of Section 15-3.3 of the UDO (Unified Development Ordinance).
- Perform any other duties assigned by the City Council or authorized by the UDO.
Meetings are held on the third Thursday of each month at 12:15 pm in the George W. Clay, Jr. Utility Operation Center Assembly Room at 824 W. Grover St.
|Marlene Peeler (Chairman)||email@example.com||June 2018|
|Rick Washburn (Vice Chair)||firstname.lastname@example.org||June 2018|
|Mark Carteremail@example.com||June 2018|
|Bob Cabaniss (ETJ)||firstname.lastname@example.org||June 2018|
|Emanuel Hunt, Jr. (ETJ)||email@example.com||June 2018|
|Mike Roysterfirstname.lastname@example.org||June 2019|
|Jim Martinemail@example.com||June 2019|
|Scott Bankheadfirstname.lastname@example.org||June 2019|
|Will Rucker (ETJ)||email@example.com||June 2017|
|Charles Hamrickfirstname.lastname@example.org||June 2017|
|Greg Tayloremail@example.com||June 2017|
|City Council Liaison:||Staffed by:|
Dicky Amaya - Ward 6610 Schenck St.
Shelby, NC 28150
|Walter (Walt) Scharer, Planning Services Director
Lucas Shires, Planner
Darin Hallman, Planner
To apply for appointment, fill out the application for Appointment to Boards & Commissions and submit it to the City Clerk’s Office at City Hall.
For more information, contact:
Walt Scharer, Planning & Development Services Director
Lucas Shires, Planner
Planning & Development Services
Post Office Box 207 (28151)
315 South Lafayette Street; Shelby, NC 28150