The Fire & Rescue Department is an all hazards public safety services provider. The department's emergency services include:
- Structural fire suppression; the department provides fire suppression services in the residential, multi-family and commercial occupancies in the city.
- Pre-hospital emergency medical care; the department provides non-transport basic life support emergency medical services in the city in support of the county advanced life support transport medical service.
- Technical rescue response; the department provides a variety of specialty rescue services including; swift water, rope and high angle, land search, collapse and confined space, and vehicle and machinery.
- Hazardous materials mitigation; the department is the operations first responder to chemical releases and hazardous product spills in the city.
- Aircraft, crash, fire & rescue (ARFF); the department provides specialized fire & rescue services at the Shelby-Cleveland County Regional Airport.
- Urban-rural interface firefighting; the department provides non-structural firefighting services including; trash and rubbish, woods and grasslands, and motor vehicle fires.