It is the goal of the City of Shelby Engineering Department to provide responsible, high-quality and cost-effective engineering services to our citizens, as well as the other divisions and departments of our City. Through these services, we strive to improve the health, safety and overall quality of life for the citizens of our City.
Objectives for the Engineering Department
- Oversee maintenance and growth of Shelby Municipal Airport
- Administer NC Division of Aviation Block Grant Program
- Manage revitalization of Downtown Shelby streets and sidewalks
- Work closely with the Planning Department to review site development plans for proposed businesses and subdivisions located within the City and extraterritorial jurisdiction
- Administer local ordinances, policies and procedures
- Review plans for public water and sanitary sewer extensions and provide City construction observations
- Deal with storm water drainage issues
- Issue curb-cut driveway permits for City streets and review and approve NC Department of Transportation driveway permits for state maintained streets inside the City limits
- Provide project management for local, state and federally funded capital improvement projects
- Administer street closings as well as street additions
- Estimate and manage annual resurfacing program
- Oversee Powell Bill funds
- Obtain utility easements for expansions of the City utilities systems
For stormwater information, visit our Stormwater page.
For more information, contact:
George W. Clay, Jr. Utility Operations Center
824 W Grover Street, Shelby, NC 28150
(PO Box 207, Shelby, NC 28151-0207)
Phone: 704-484-6840 * Fax: 704-484-6808
Office Hours: 7:30 am – 4:00 pm Monday - Friday
Before construction, excavation or digging is done on your premises, call 811 to have underground utility owned lines located and marked.